More On the Job Math: Level 2 - Practical Practice Math
Practical Application Math/Math at Work/Life Skills/Distance & Speed Traveled/Elapsed Time/Measurement/Percentages/Money
The practical application of math helps students understand the importance of mastering basic math skills. Math can be found in all parts of our lives, including at work. Students will discover how Veterinarians, Store Managers, and Flight Attendants use math skills as part of their jobs.
This book focuses on skills that often don’t get much attention in the
• Understanding “Elapsed Time” can be a challenge for students growing up in a digital world. If you start a project at 9:05 a.m. and end it at 9:50 a.m., how much time has passed?
• Calculating “Distance Traveled” and “Speed Traveled” generally isn’t practiced enough for students to be adept at figuring how many miles have been traveled between point A to point B. Or what speed you have to travel at to reach a certain distance in a certain amount of time.
• Different forms of “Measurement” can be confusing. How many ounces ARE
there in a gallon or a pound? How do you figure square feet?
Other Skills Include:
• Calculating “Percentages”– What is a 25% of the number 38? What percentage of the number 325 is 130?
• Adding, Subtracting, Multiplying, and Dividing various amounts of “Money.”
And “Making the Correct Change.”
Featuring these skills in everyday work situations, helps students see their connection to the real world.
There are four pages of skill review reminding students about elapsed time, the different kinds of measurement, how to figure distance and speed traveled, and how to calculate percentages. Each review page has Helpful Hints and practice questions.
Level 2 Activities
Activity pages feature charming, illustrated characters in common work situations. Students will be asked to add, subtract, multiply, and divide whole numbers and decimals to solve problems about elapsed time, measurement, speed and distance traveled, percentages and money. Some answers require rounding to the nearest hundredths.
Answer Key Included
- Stock: In Stock
- Model: EREM 70